Friday, November 5, 2010

Diligence in a Technology Driven World


"Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth." -  2 Timothy 2:15

Electronics rule our worlds. A little text message here, a little Facebook action there. Oh and let's not forget checking our emails from our iPhones every other second. By the way, I'm so glad I don't have one. My Blackberry used to drive me nuts.

I can remember the days when playing outside was the cool thing to do. We would ride bikes, play "Ding Dong Ditch" (not a good idea if you want to survive nowadays), play catch in the street, and run up to the nearest 7-Eleven.

Yet for some reason those days are long gone. It's rare to see kids playing outside because they are too wrapped up in Playstation (whatever number we are on now). They can't even ride their bikes very far because the world we live in is a sinful mess and getting worse everyday.

With all this bombardment, it's hard to stay focused and be diligent workers. I know it's easy for me to get distracted from all the technology around me, but God commands us to be hard workers for His kingdom.

Sometimes (more like most of the time if you want to get technical), we need to put the iPhone away, shut down our computers, and forget about answering 25 text messages. We need to focus on our work and what is important in life.

We won't be able to take our gobs of technology with us to heaven so we might as well get used to living without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment